Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A case of the feline

"Don't trust people who don't like cats for no apparent reason." --- Anonymous

I had completely forgotten to mention in my previous post of another milestone that took place in the last five years : pet possession. 

Ever since I was a little girl, cats have been a permanent feature in our household. My mom loves to regale us with tales of our - my twin and I - legendary antics which had landed us in many a hot soup. One of them involves giving a poor kitten a bath and THEN hanging it to dry using clothespins! I kid you not. We were four years old then and lived in a rented single storey house at Kampung Tunku, PJ. 

When we moved to Shah Alam in 1979, cats continued to come and go at our terrace house. Some came to just eat and some stayed to call us home. The memorable cats of our youth (read : teenage years) were Chowyu (named after my twin's favourite Hong Kong film star at the time, Chow Yuen Fatt) and Nuno (my elder sister named her after the one half of the famous one-hit-wonder duo called Extreme). 

Chowyu's untimely death left my twin severely heartbroken and if I'm not mistaken, Nuno passed away when I was in the States. Come to think of it, I was never a cat owner. At least, not until recently. I am fond of cats and go gaga whenever I see them in their different fluffy variants. Both Chowyu and Nuno were not mine: I am just a co-owner.

I played with them but I never did form that fundamental owner-pet attachment that usually follows suit. Probably I didn't want to get emotionally attached to something I couldn't solely call my own. Or I wasn't investing that much time with them in the first place. 

Four years into my marriage and coming home from the Netherlands, we settled back in Ampang and my husband brought up the idea of having a pet. I wasn't keen of keeping a cat at a condo, especially after hearing about an increasing case of pets (and what-nots) falling from the balcony. 

Buying a residential plot on the ground level looked set to bring that pet-owning dream into motion. Alas, we can only plan but Allah is the Best of planners. We migrated to Dubai soon after and lived in an apartment throughout our duration there. 

During our final year in Dubai - despite rumours of imminent departure to KL - we bought, not one but three dwarf hamsters. They are cute, cuddly and big eaters for such tiny fellas. We were ambitious and bought them a nifty big cage. And two transparent balls for them to go in and roll around the apartment's veranda and living room. 

When news of KL move was firm, we didn't think much about any problems which might ensue if we were to bring Grey, Stripey 1 and Stripey 2 home. However, complications on the custom and health front led us to reluctantly give them away free instead - cage, accessories and all. 

It was sad having to part with them after six months together. In a way, I did form an attachment, albeit a brief one. Although I couldn't touch or stroke them like I would a cat, they were a part of our daily fixture. Well, except for that 10 days we were away from them for our Spring Break. And boy, weren't we happy to see them alive and well when we came back! 

Towards the last quarter of 2013, suburban life in Malaysia seems humdrum and laid-back enough to finally toying with the idea of getting a feline. This strong impulse brought Izzy* into our lives, after scouring the backwater of Tanjung Panglima Garang for her breeder's abode one stormy Sunday. She's a mixed Persian kitten with a friendly and lovable personality. She'd wait by our bedroom door to open in the morning to be with us human. She's a chirpy, people person, I mean, cat!

Unfortunately, Izzy fell sick two weeks after she stayed with us. She didn't want to eat, and became weak with each passing day. The diagnosis at the vet proved to be fatal. Izzy contracted a blood virus. She died about a week later during her treatment at the vet. We didn't get to see her in the end and let the vet arranged for her burial. She was only with us (including vet stay) for less than a month.

You'd have thought that incident would swear us off cats for a while. Surprisingly, it didn't deter us but made us more determined to choose from a better, long-established breeder. At the end of December 2013, we found online one in Kajang and he was more than willing to bring to our house four kittens (including the one we liked online) to pick from. 

He unzipped this portable canvas-like carrier and, lo and behold, four terrified kittens scampered for places to hide in our living room! They were all adorable, minus the scratch they left on our hands and feet. 

At that very moment, we both decided to take two kittens, instead of just one. Having a partner in crime makes it easier and quicker for them to adapt to a new place. Thus, it was the start of a beautiful (indoor living) journey with female Binoo** the seal-point ragdoll and male Stampy*** the ginger mixed Persian. 


One and (almost) a half year on, we have also adjusted to life with indoor cats. This includes neutering procedures, vaccination visits, routine check-ups and stays at the cattery whenever we go out of town. Fur-balls galore notwithstanding, they are now an enduring part of our family. All seem normal and hunky dory on the home front....

That is, until my daughter won three little fishy at a school carnival two weeks back. Now we have a small motorized fish tank for the fish! When your kid already named the fish upon reaching the car to go home, you just don't have the heart to throw the fish out. 

So, let's hope we stop at fish! Though that sugar glider in the pet store sure looks mighty cute.....

* Named after the girl character in Jake and the Neverland Pirates™.
** Named after the cat Binoo in my boy's favourite cartoon series, Toopy and Binoo™.
*** Those who play Minecraft will know the origin of this name :)

2 comments:

  1. I have stopped - there is a cat cemetery at the back of our garden. I dont think i can have anymore. when they die, it really is like losing a member of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dreading that moment if it were to happen one day. They became family when I referred to myself as their mum (eeek!).
      I remember your slew of cats and how affectionately you wrote about them. Especially those involving the duvets! Your cats are fortunate to have such a loving home.

      Delete